We accept email and snailmail Queries from U.S. authors of completed manuscripts. Please do not call. Please read and follow all instructions carefully. Do not query if you have not written your book from beginning to end. Do not send attachments unless invited to do so; emails with unsolicited attachments are deleted unopened.
What We Look For
Amador Publishers specializes in fiction, biography, philosophy and mixed-genre literary works of unique worth and appeal, outside the purview of mainstream publishing. We will consider novels and short story collections, creative non-fiction, essays/opinion, satire, biography/autobiography. Manuscripts must be complete and in the range of 75,000-130,000 words. We have established the imprint, Worldwind Books, as the publishing identity for a broader range of titles, including poetry.
What We Offer
Amador Publishers, LLC provides thorough editing and proofreading, attractive cover design, promotional web pages, pre-publication and new release promotions, ongoing marketing support, ISBN and LOC registration, copyright to the author, generous author discounts, ebook editions, and reprint options. We report sales totals and pay royalties to authors on a quarterly basis.
What You Need To Know
Does the Author Have to Pay? and Other Questions Answered
- We do not offer publishing contracts for books that are not finished.
- We do not consider books that are presently published in any format. If you have self-published, or are not satisfied with your current ebook or print publisher, do not submit the same content to Amador. (Exception: If you have a significant title that has been out of print for some time, and all rights have reverted to you, go ahead and make your case.)
- Our standard publishing contract gives Amador Publishers, LLC the right of first refusal for all editions of the work. If you are only looking for a print publisher and will be pursuing other options for alternative formats of your book, Amador may not be the right publisher for you.
- Be advised that it can take up to two years from acceptance of your manuscript to its print publication.
- Our publishing contract (we call it the Author Agreement) requires the author to certify that they hold all of the rights and permissions to all of the material they plan to publish. Please submit original work. Manuscripts that rely heavily on excerpts and quoted material will not be considered.
How To Query
- Prose authors may purchase the Book Critique and Evaluation Service. You will receive substantive feedback on both your concept and writing, and if the manuscript is far enough along it will be considered for publication. There is no fee to query. There is no fee for Worldwind Books Poetry submittals.
- There is no publishing fee, however the author is encouraged to pre-pay for a quantity of books at their reduced author price, which will be specified in the Author Agreement. Author may purchase additional copies at the same discounted price at any time. Author may also be asked to pay for shipping.
- Amador does not provide any advance payment to authors. Royalties on all sales receipts from all sources are paid quarterly.
- Should an author whose work is accepted for publication be unable to provide their material in the required format, Amador will offer a proposal for paid services such as scanning, preparation of author-provided art, and indexing. The author is under no obligation to purchase these services from Amador, however, failure to provide materials to specifications can lead to delay or cancelation of a project.
- Why does it take so long? We are a very small press and we strive for the highest quality. While we do release titles as ebooks, we follow a traditional publishing model, in which we start with a print edition, provide advance notice of pending publication to the book industry, and seek early reviews and endorsements with which to begin our marketing and sales effort even before the book is in print. Meanwhile, each book receives multiple rounds of checking and proofing, and a terrific cover design.
We will consider inquiries from U.S. authors of complete manuscripts. Please review all of the information on this page to confirm that your material is suitable. Follow these instructions carefully:
Thank you in advance for your courtesy, and congratulations on completing your book! --ZG
- do not send attachments until invited to do so;
- do not call me, please use email;
- follow our Manuscript Guidelines.
Step 1: Send an e-mail to Zelda Gatuskin
Your email Subject line should say QUERY plus the TITLE of your book.
In the body of your email please provide:
Step 2: I will write back to you.
- Your name and complete contact info, including physical address;
- Title and subtitle of your book,
- its genre(s) or subject(s),
- number of words, number of chapters,
- intended audience,
- brief description,
- why you wrote it,
- what makes it special.
a. If I'm not interested, I'm not interested. Please do not send anything more.
b. I will invite you to send the entire manuscript file. (Manuscript Guidelines)
If you have sent a snailmail query, I will ask for hard copy of several sample chapters and/or the complete ms. file.
What to Expect:
When I acknowledge receipt of your file I will estimate my response time. I will not necessarily read your entire ms., but I want to ascertain that it is complete and what shape it's in, and to be able to sample it, and to read through if it grabs me.
If I am interested in publishing your book as an Amador title, I will contact you, and follow up with draft contract language, written guidelines for how the ms. should be prepared for final submittal (formatting and or editorial requests) and a proposed timeframe for publication.
Corresponding by Snail Mail
Send materials to: Zelda Gatuskin, Amador Publishers, 611 Delamar NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107. Be sure to include your phone number, email address if you have one and/or a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for reply.
Manuscript Guidelines - Prose
Manuscripts should be double-spaced in 12 pt. font, courier or typewriter font preferred; minimum 3/4" margins all sides; page number and author name on each page. (Do not send a book-style layout. We want to read what you wrote; if it is not right for Amador, no amount of fancy formatting will save you; and if it seems promising, we'll have to consider the extra effort it will take to get it into a format we can work with.) For hard copies, single-sided printing. CDs and flash drives must be able to be read on a Windows operating system. Do not include art in your manuscript file or send graphics files. You may indicate in your email that you have illustrations or cover art in mind; please do not send any files until requested to do so. [No media, files or print-outs will be retained beyond the reading period without the author's permission. Physical materials will be discarded unless you send sufficient packaging and postage for their return.]