Effective November 1, 2009, we request that all authors wishing to be considered for publication purchase the Amador Publishers' Book Critique & Evaluation Service. At $400.00, this service is reasonably priced and will help you cut through a lot of b.s. There is no obligation to purchase more services. You will receive valuable, practical feedback on your manuscript. [Update, August 2013: We can now accommodate digital submissions to save time, postage and the environment! Please read the remainder of this page carefully and follow all Submission Instructions. Amador Publishers' editor-in-chief Zelda Gatuskin will personally review and critique your manuscript.]
Our Publishing Options
Due to our limited resources, we use a variety of publishing/funding models. The author is typically asked to provide some or all of the funding for publishing services, either as a direct payment or an interest-free loan. Loans are repaid in quarterly increments as the books sell and/or we repay the author with a quantity of books at wholesale value. We have learned that the most effective salesperson for any book is the author. Amador works side-by-side with our authors to help them achieve sales goals and recoup investments; we retain our own stock of books to fulfill wholesale and web site orders - with royalties to the author - and we promote all of our books on an ongoing basis. We provide ISBN and LOC registration, copyright to the author, thorough editing and proofreading, attractive cover design, promotional web pages, pre-publication and new release promotions, ongoing marketing support, and reprint options. If you are willing and able to invest in and actively market your book, please read on.
What We Look For
Amador Publishers specializes in fiction, biography, philosophy and unique literary works with a humanist worldview. We will consider novels and short story collections, creative non-fiction, essays/opinion, satire, biography/autobiography. Manuscripts must be complete and in the range of 75,000-120,000 words. We have established the imprint, Worldwind Books, as the publishing identity for a broader range of titles and pay-to-publish book projects, including poetry. Authors whose works are not complete or in final draft may want to consider these other services: Literary Services.
When you are ready for an objective, constructive evaluation of your book and what it will take to publish, submit your entire manuscript in print or digital format with the one-time reading fee of $400.00. Submission Instructions
A portion of your fee will be applied to any pay-to-publish package you purchase from us within the specified timeframe, but is otherwise non-refundable.
Please be advised that purchasing Amador Publishers' Book Critique & Evaluation service does not guarantee that we will publish your book, even at your own expense. If we think your book is right for either Worldwind Books or the Amador list, we will provide publishing/funding options for you to consider. You are not obligated to purchase. Visit Worldwind Books for more information about the pay-to-publish option.
If we do not offer you a publishing package, we will still provide a critique of your book's key strengths and weaknesses with recommendations for how best to proceed with preparing the work for publication or finding a suitable publisher.
Submission Instructions - Prose
Manuscripts are now accepted by email or snail mail.
You may inquire by sending e-mail to Zelda Gatuskin prior to making your submittal, but no attachments, please, until requested.
Send to: Zelda Gatuskin, Amador Publishers, 611 Delamar NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107.
Your submittal should include:
- Cover letter with a short bio.
- The complete hard copy of your ms (see guidelines below) and, if you choose, the complete manuscript file(s) on CD. Providing the files will allow us to anticipate any technical needs related to publishing.
- Instructions regarding return of materials, and sufficient packaging and postage to cover your requests. We strongly suggest that you provide return postage for your hard copy so that you will see any notes we make on it - you will get the maximum amount of feedback that way.
- The $400.00 fee. Make check or money order payable to Amador Publishers, LLC. If you are including the cost of return postage in your check, please don't forget to provide packaging, a mailing label and instructions. You may also prepay the $400.00 fee with paypal or credit card (you do not need to have a paypal account).
Manuscripts should be double-spaced in 12 pt. courier font, minimum 3/4" margins, page numbers upper right; author name upper left. CDs must be formatted to read on Windows operating system; accepted file formats: .doc, .wpd, .txt, .pdf. [No CDs, files or print-outs will be retained beyond the reading period without the author's permission. Materials will be discarded unless you send sufficient packaging and postage for their return.]
Note that you should prepare your file according to the Manuscript Guidelines above. Then follow these steps:
1. Use this button to pay the $400.00 fee with paypal or credit card (you do not need to have a paypal account).
2. Look for an email from Zelda@amadorbooks.com confirming that the payment was received.
3. Reply to Zelda's email with:
* Cover letter with synopsis of the work and a short bio (in body of email).
* The complete digital copy of your ms attached in one of these accepted file formats: .doc, .odt, .wpd, .txt, .pdf.
[No files or print-outs will be retained beyond the reading period without the author's permission. The manuscript file(s) will be deleted unless author provides permission for Zelda to save for future editing or publishing services. Zelda does retain her own notes and correspondence to the author for future reference.]
Allow 6-8 weeks for a response. Watch this website for updates on response times, additional information about the publishing process, and useful features about the book industry.
These Literary Services are also Available from Amador Publishers:
Inquire by sending e-mail to Zelda Gatuskin .
- Literary Critique, Developmental Editing, Publishing Consultation. Amador Publishers' editor-in-chief Zelda Gatuskin can give an evaluation of your writing at any stage of your project's development; help you develop your idea, your writing and the format of your article or book through ongoing editorial review and guidance; consult with you on publishing matters and the process of preparing your manuscript for print or electronic publishing.
- Book Design. We have experience designing covers, interior art and text layout, front and back matter and overall book concept, promotional materials and web pages.
- E-Book Conversion. We have experience formatting draft manuscripts and reformatting typeset book files to comply with the Smashwords guidelines for easy e-book conversion into multiple formats.
- Events and Presentations. We can assist with event planning and provide coaching for book readings and public appearances.
See also our
Links Pages for more publishing information and writers' resources.