We are now accepting email and snailmail Queries from authors of completed manuscripts. Please read and follow all instructions carefully. Please do not query if you have not written your book from beginning to end.
What We Look For
Amador Publishers specializes in fiction, biography, philosophy and mixed-genre literary works of unique worth and appeal, outside the purview of mainstream publishing. We will consider novels and short story collections, creative non-fiction, essays/opinion, satire, biography/autobiography. Manuscripts must be complete and in the range of 75,000-130,000 words.
We have established the imprint, Worldwind Books, as the publishing identity for a broader range of titles and author-funded book projects, including poetry.
What We Offer
We use a variety of publishing/funding models based on the editorial needs and sales potential of each project. Regardless of how the project is funded, Amador Publishers, LLC reports sales totals to authors on a quarterly basis, pays royalties, provides ISBN and LOC registration, copyright to the author, thorough editing and proofreading, attractive cover design, promotional web pages, pre-publication and new release promotions, ongoing marketing support, generous author discounts, ebook editions, and reprint options.
What You Need To Know
How To Query
- We do not offer publishing contracts for books that are not finished. (That's why you keep seeing the words "completed manuscripts.") If you have not written your book from beginning to end, do not spend valuable time on a query. Write the book, already!
- We do not consider books that are presently published in any format. If you have self-published, or are not satisfied with your current ebook or print publisher, do not submit the same content to Amador.
- Our standard publishing contract gives Amador Publishers, LLC the right of first refusal for all editions of the work. If you are only looking for a print publisher and will be pursuing other options for alternative formats of your book, Amador may not be the right publisher for you.
- Be advised that from acceptance of a prose manuscript to print publication can take up to 2 years; if you are unwilling to wait that long to see your book in print, please do not query. We offer a variety of paid literary services for authors who need help completing or self-publishing their books. Note: Poetry collections are published in 6-8 months.
- Our publishing contract (we call it the Author Agreement) requires the author to certify that they hold all of the rights and permissions to all of the material they plan to publish. Please submit original work. Manuscripts that rely heavily on excerpts and quoted material will not be considered.
I will consider inquiries from authors of complete manuscripts. Please review all of the information on this page to confirm that your material is suitable. (You may even want to read some Amador books.) Follow these instructions carefully. In particular:
Thank you in advance for your courtesy, and congratulations on completing your book! --ZG
- do not send attachments until invited to do so;
- do not call me, please use email;
- follow our Manuscript Guidelines.
Step 1: Send an e-mail to Zelda Gatuskin
Your email Subject line should say QUERY plus the TITLE of your book.
In the body of your email please provide:
Step 2: I will write back to you.
- Your name and complete contact info;
- Title and subtitle of your book,
- its genre(s) or subject(s),
- number of words, number of chapters,
- intended audience,
- brief description,
- why you wrote it,
- what makes it special.
a. If I'm not interested, I'm not interested. Please do not send anything more.
b. I will invite you to send the entire manuscript file. (Manuscript Guidelines)
If you have sent a snailmail query, I will ask for hard copy of several sample chapters and/or the complete ms. file on CD.
What to Expect:
When I acknowledge receipt of your file I will estimate my response time. I will not necessarily read your entire ms., but I want to ascertain that it is complete and what shape it's in, and to be able to sample it, and to read through if it grabs me.
If I like your book but don't think it's ready to publish, I may suggest using our Book Critique and Evaluation Service to help you get it into shape. You are under no obligation.
If I am interested in publishing your book as an Amador title, I will call you, and follow up with draft contract language, written guidelines for how the ms. should be prepared for final submittal (formatting and or editorial requests) and a proposed timeframe for publication.
If I like your book but do not think it fits the Amador list or am not confident of its sales potential, I may propose a pay-to-publish package from Worldwind Books. You are under no obligation.
Corresponding by Snail Mail
Send materials to: Zelda Gatuskin, Amador Publishers, 611 Delamar NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107. Be sure to include your phone number, email address if you have one and/or a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for reply.
Does the Author Have to Pay? and other Questions Answered
Manuscript Guidelines - Prose
- Authors are no longer required to purchase the Book Critique and Evaluation Service in order to have their work considered for publication; you may follow the Query process instead. That said, we do recommend the Critique service for those who are looking for substantive feedback on both their concept and writing.
- Typically, authors whose work has been selected for the Amador list will not have to pay publishing fees. However, authors must commit to purchase a quantity of their books (min. 30), at a reduced author price and to provide payment by a specified date. Royalties of 10% of all sales receipts from all sources are paid quarterly.
- Should an author whose work is accepted for the Amador list be unable to provide their material in the required format, Amador will offer a proposal for paid services such as scanning, preparation of author-provided art, and indexing. The author is under no obligation to purchase these services from Amador, however, failure to provide materials to specifications can lead to delay or cancelation of a project.
- Typically, authors whose work has been selected for the Worldwind Books imprint are asked to buy a publishing package. These books are produced with the same attention to detail as our Amador line, and provided with the same sales support as our Amador titles. A quantity of books for the author will be negotiated and provided as part of the package, and the author will have a reduced price on subsequent purchases. Royalties of 25% of all sales receipts from all sources with exception of sales to author are paid quarterly.
- Why does it take so long? We are a very small press and we strive for the highest quality. While we do release titles as ebooks, we follow a traditional publishing model, in which we start with a print edition, provide advance notice of pending publication to the book industry, and seek early reviews and endorsements with which to begin our marketing and sales effort even before the book is in print. Meanwhile, each book receives multiple rounds of checking and proofing, and a terrific cover design.
Manuscripts should be double-spaced in 12 pt. font, courier or typewriter font preferred; minimum 3/4" margins all sides; page numbers upper right; author name upper left. For hard copies, single-sided printing. CDs must be formatted to read on Windows operating system; accepted file formats: .doc, .wpd, .txt, .pdf. Do not include art in your manuscript file or send graphics files. You may indicate in your email that you have illustrations or cover art in mind; please do not send any files until requested to do so. [No CDs, files or print-outs will be retained beyond the reading period without the author's permission. Physical materials will be discarded unless you send sufficient packaging and postage for their return.]
Amador Publishers' Book Critique and Evaluation Service - Prose
Amador Publishers offers a Book Critique and Evaluation service to evaluate your writing and offer specific, constructive advice to improve and market your manuscript. All manuscripts are considered for publication, but purchasing this service does not guarantee that we will publish your book. If we think your book is right for either our Worldwind Books imprint or the Amador list, we will provide publishing/funding options for you to consider. You are not obligated to purchase. If we do not offer you a publishing package, we will still provide a critique of your book's key strengths and weaknesses with recommendations for how to proceed with preparing the work for publication or finding a suitable publisher.
When you are ready for an objective, constructive evaluation of your book and what it will take to publish, submit your entire manuscript in print or digital format with the one-time reading fee of $450.00. Manuscripts are accepted by snailmail or email. Please follow these steps:
Your submittal should include:
*Cover letter with a short bio.
*The complete hard copy of your manuscript and, if you choose, the complete manuscript file(s) on CD. Providing the files will allow us to anticipate any technical needs related to publishing. (Manuscript Guidelines)
*Instructions regarding return of materials, and sufficient packaging and postage to cover your requests. We strongly suggest that you provide return postage for your hard copy so that you will see any notes we make on it - you will get the maximum amount of feedback that way.
*The $450.00 fee. Make check or money order payable to Amador Publishers, LLC. If you are including the cost of return postage in your check, please don't forget to provide packaging, a mailing label and instructions. You may also prepay the $450.00 fee with paypal or credit card (you do not need to have a paypal account).
*Send materials to: Zelda Gatuskin, Amador Publishers, 611 Delamar NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107.
2. Look for an email from Zelda@amadorbooks.com confirming that the payment was received and requesting your materials.
1. Use this button to pay the $450.00 fee with paypal or credit card (you do not need to have a paypal account).
3. You will be asked to reply to that email with:
* Cover letter with synopsis of the work and a short bio (in body of email).
* The complete digital copy of your ms attached in one of these accepted file formats: .doc, .odt, .wpd, .txt, .pdf. [No files or print-outs will be retained beyond the reading period without the author's permission. The manuscript file(s) will be deleted unless author provides permission for Zelda to hold for future editing or publishing services. Zelda does retain her own notes and correspondence to the author for future reference.]
Allow 6-8 weeks for a response. You may be informed by email if it is taking longer. You may check on Zelda's progress by email. Please do not call.
These Literary Services are also Available from Amador Publishers:
Inquire by sending e-mail to Zelda Gatuskin .
- Literary Critique, Developmental Editing, Publishing Consultation. Amador Publishers' editor-in-chief Zelda Gatuskin can give an evaluation of your writing at any stage of your project's development; help you develop your idea, your writing and the format of your article or book through ongoing editorial review and guidance; consult with you on publishing matters and the process of preparing your manuscript for print or electronic publishing, all for a reasonable price.
- Book Critique and Evaluation Service. This service will ensure that your manuscript is in the best condition possible as you send it off to potential publishers, or even as you prepare to self-publish.
- Book Design. We have experience designing covers, interior art and text layout, front and back matter and overall book concept, promotional materials and web pages.
- E-Book Conversion. We have experience formatting draft manuscripts and reformatting typeset book files to comply with the Smashwords guidelines for easy e-book conversion into multiple formats.
- Events and Presentations. We can assist with event planning and provide coaching for book readings and public appearances.
- Complete Pay-to-Publish Packages. Author-funded publishing is available for selected titles through our imprint Worldwind Books.
Publishing Your Poetry
We offer our Worldwind Books imprint for poets who are willing to pay for book design and production services. Your manuscript must contain 80 pages minimum.
As part of the Worldwind Books Poetry Series, your book will be professionally designed and published under contract with Amador Publishers, LLC. Your package will include ISBN and Library of Congress numbers, copyright to the author, national availability through Amazon.com, Ingram's distribution and at AmadorBooks.com, with generous royalties on wholesale and retail sales, and a low author's price for you regardless of how many books you order, any time.
How To Submit Your Poetry
Step 1 - Query: Send by e-mail or snail mail 10-20 pages of poetry with a short cover note and your completed Questionnaire/Query form.
Snail-Mail Queries: Mail to Amador Publishers, LLC, 611 Delamar NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107. Include an SASE for my reply. Do not send your only copy, submissions will not be returned.
Send to Zelda Gatuskin with "Poetry by " and your full name in the subject line (Example: Poetry by Zelda Gatuskin). Your documents should be in .DOC format and named Your_Name_Form and Your_Name_Poetry. (Example: Zelda_Gatuskin_Form.doc) Note: I recognize that your technical ability has nothing to do with your talent as a poet, but if your attachments crash my computer I can't promise not to hold it against you. If in doubt, please use snail mail.
Step 2: If we think that your poetry is suitable for the series and this method of publishing will fill your needs, I will provide you with additional details of the publishing contracts available and instructions for sending the entire manuscript. You are under no obligation to proceed, and Amador Publishers, LLC is under no obligation to offer a publishing contract after seeing the full ms.
Step 3: You will either be offered a publishing plan and author agreement or provided with a short, constructive critique to support you in your writing. Our goal is to encourage and empower all writers. We're a small operation and must be highly selective, but in spirit we embrace all sincere creative efforts.
Worldwind Books Poetry FAQ